Re: Shopt to change default connector to '&&'

From: Hugues Morisset
Subject: Re: Shopt to change default connector to '&&'
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:43:15 +0100

> Firstly, "devel" is the development branch, so potential contributions
> should be based off of that.

> Secondly, the patch does apply to the master branch but is not
> usable as-is.  It modifies configure.in, which has not been touched
> in over 11 years and is ignored by recent versions of autoconf in
> favor of configure.ac.  After applying your changes to configure.ac
> by hand and regenerating configure, the resulting bash recognizes
> the default_connector_and_and shopt but otherwise does not seem to
> behave differently.

Thanks a lots for the instructions, I'll fix the patch when I get some time.
An very simple example you can try is

foo() {
    false
    echo foo
}
bar() {
    echo bar
}
foo || bar

which print foo but with default_connector_and_and on it will print bar.
If would write foo() more explicitly  when the shopt is on it would be
foo() {
    false \
    && echo foo
}