Re: Modifying completion of read(1builtin)

From: Douglas Lewan
Subject: Re: Modifying completion of read(1builtin)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:46:33 -0400

On 28/03/2023 15:49, Dennis Williamson wrote:

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023, 2:43 PM Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi, all,

    I have a list of about 30 strings that are appropriate for a certain
    instance of read(1builtin).

    How can I set up completion for read to include them? It looks
    like some
    combination of compgen() and complete() would be right, but I haven't
    been able to find it. Can anyone help?

    It also looks like any such modification would apply to all
    instances of
    read. Can it be restricted to that one instance? Can it be
    restricted to
    exactly those values?

    Thanks.

-- ,Doug

    Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially
    denied. - Otto von Bismarck

You're executing read from the command line?
Yes.