Re: Finding out when a token is consumed

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: Re: Finding out when a token is consumed
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 01:06:15 +0200

Hans Aberg wrote:

> If there is a LR(2) parser on the market, you might try to see what happens
> when running your grammar through that. Also LR(n) grammars can be
> rewritten as LR(1), even though it is said to not be very usable for
> practical use.

I have a rough idea of this, and indeed it doesn' seem very
practical (maybe the most ugly of all solutions ... ;-)

> Perhaps you should check with those that designed the language you are
> trying to implement if they know what they do. -- Are you the first fellow
> in the world trying to implement it? If you, others implementors should
> know how to handle the problem.

There is another implementation which is proprietary so I don't know
details, but most likely it uses an RD parser with some ad-hoc
special handling, both of which explains some problems it has in
other areas ...

> I can't come up with any better suggestions than what has already been
> said, given the limited context background. You might wait to see if
> somebody else wakes up and giver further inputs.

OK. It seems most likely by now that there isn't any better solution
than the location abuse. At least, this is a very localized change,
so it will be easy to replace it in the future, if I get to know
about a better method ...

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, address@hidden