Re: how to work with Bison locations?

From: Henrik Sorensen
Subject: Re: how to work with Bison locations?
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:35:53 +0200

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 22.27:11 Kynn Jones wrote:
> Hi.  I'm working with Bison (and Flex) for the first time, and it's rough
> going.

good luck ... we have all been there:-)

Not sure I would have started with the locations though.

This topic comes up from time to time, so it might be worth searching both the
bison and flex mailing archives.

> I can't get Bison locations to work.
For Bison locations to work, your scanner will have to update the location
structure.

I have implemented this for my PL/I scanner and parser.

look at the sourcecode at:
http://pl1gcc.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pl1gcc/gcc/gcc/pl1/

Search for the files:
pl1-scanner.l
pl1-parser.y

project home page:
http://pl1gcc.sourceforge.net

> Am I misunderstanding the meaning of Bisons "locations"?  If not, what
> am I doing wrong?

no, but you still have do a lot of work in your scanner.

> Thanks!
> kynn

good luck
Henrik