Re: Language Versions

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Language Versions
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 06:40:17 +0200

Arthur,

> Le 15 sept. 2022 à 22:59, Arthur Schwarz <home@slipbits.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi;
>>
>>> This is no more than a single line in the document and/or part of --help.
>>> It tells your audience what compilers they can use and what language
>>> elements are available. All with a single line.
>>
>> No can do.  That's something related to the skeletons.  So I will complete
>> their documentation, yes.
>
> This puzzles me. You can't put a single line in for each language telling the
> user what the baseline language is?

Yes, sorry, that was indeed a poor choice of word.

I meant "No, I don't want to do that".

Currently --help says nothing about the existing skeletons, and I don't want to
start.  That's rather something belongs to the documentation.

> I don't believe this has anything to do with the skeletons,

Yes it does.

> unless the skeletons are linked to a different language,

Yes they are.

> and in this case the baseline language is the language version for the
> skeleton. I am truly mystified. You have already said what the Bison language
> version choices are (see below), what is being asked for is that  you include
> them in the manual. Something like, "Bison output is compilable using version
> C(), C++(), and D()", where the language version used is inserted in the
> "()". You might need to use prettier words but the sense is that you know the
> answer, and the user's of Bison should know it also.

Again, I agree you do have a point, and I will write some documentation about
that.  However, I can't remember someone complaining about the targeted
language of a given skeleton, so your point is somewhat theoretical.

Cheers.