RE: Querying clients

From: David Masterson
Subject: RE: Querying clients
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:26:28 -0800

bern wrote:
> Is there a way to query clients from a cfengine server?   What I would
> like to be able to do, is to query clients to know about specific
> configurations of their systems.  For example, before I take any
> actions on a client, I might like to know the content of a file before
> trying to do modification to it.
>
> I feel lile shooting in the dark when using cfengine without knowing
> the exact state of a system.

Hmmm.  By definition, isn't this the configuration files of cfengine?  That
is, cfengine's job is to bring a system into compliance with the
configuration files.  Therefore, the files should represent the current state
of the system.

Beyond that, you could put a script into place that is triggered by cfrun
that will report on the current state of the system.

--
David Masterson
VMware, Inc.