Re: Querying clients

From: Steve Wray
Subject: Re: Querying clients
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:43:04 +1300

Tim Nelson wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2005, bern wrote:

Is there a way to query clients from a cfengine server?   What I would
like to be able to do, is to query clients to know about specific
[snip]

Just in case you missed the point of cfengine, you define the configuration on the server, but then each client machine downloads its own copy, and it runs cfagent on the client machine. For example, if you want to know whether a file exists on the client, and then take action based on that, you use the FileExists function. The client downloads the config before the FileExists function gets run.

So basically, I'm saying you probably don't need to get the system state information back to the central location. If you still think you do, then give us an example problem, and see if we can think of a better way to solve it :).

It is still useful to be able to collect data on the existing state of a machine and pass that back to the cfengine server. I can think of *lots* of reasons one might want to do this.

rsync may be a suitable option; you can have cfengine prompt an rsync of some directory or file on the client.

--
There is nothing more important to good government than good education.