Re: flex & gcc 3

From: John Millaway
Subject: Re: flex & gcc 3
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

> When will there be the next release of flex?
> I mean it would be nice if the incompabilites with gcc3's STL were fixed...

flex 2.5.10 was released yesterday. Grab it here:
ftp://ftp.uncg.edu/people/wlestes

Fixing the C++ scanner is on the TODO list. Meanwhile, you can use the
reentrant C scanner for anything the C++ scanner could do. The C++ scanner
previously had only two benefits over the traditional scanner: reentrancy and
C++ IO streams. Now it has no benefits. With %option reentrant, you can use IO
streams in the C scanner by overriding YY_INPUT and ECHO. Since the reentrant C
scanner compiles cleanly as a C++ scanner, it ** IS ** a C++ scanner.  The
reentrant C scanner makes the yyFlexLexer scanner somewhat dispensable.

-John