Re: flex 2.5.21 released

From: Bruce Lilly
Subject: Re: flex 2.5.21 released
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:14:50 -0400

W. L. Estes wrote:

Bruce, automake is a separate program. It's not included because we're
only interested in its output. If you want to modify flex, then you
have to buy into the tools we use to build it.

I know that automake is separate.  My interest in posting
the patch to Makefile.in was not to modify flex per se,
but to share a method for getting legible documentation.
But I don't have the time to embark on a 4-day project
to do so.

Believe me, Bruce, that's the way you want it. (You, in fact,
complained when all there was was a cvs snapshot and you had to have a
whole host of tools to get flex to build.)

Yes, and that was IIRC an automake problem; it first
required one specific version of one tool, then
another, and another. By the time it insisted on the
4th specific version of a tool which I rarely use --
and only 0.001 version later than what I already had
available, I had to abandon it as it was taking too
much time and effort.

Bruce, you patch Makefile.am as best you can--Makefile.am works more
or less like a makefile.

I've looked at the file -- I can't see anything in it
that looks like it gets translated to SUFFIXES or
suffix rules, which is what I needed to do.