Re: flex 2.5.21 released

From: Bastian Kleineidam
Subject: Re: flex 2.5.21 released
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:21:12 +0200

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:20:13AM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Bruce> Yes, and that was IIRC an automake problem; it first required
> Bruce> one specific version of one tool, then another, and another. By
> Bruce> the time it insisted on the 4th specific version of a tool
> Bruce> which I rarely use -- and only 0.001 version later than what I
> Bruce> already had available, I had to abandon it as it was taking too
> Bruce> much time and effort.
>
> Sorry, but I missed the original message :(  Is it possible to have a
> description of it?  Automake 1.7 is about to be released, and works
> hard at killing every last bit of bug, so any information is useful.

There is no bug in automake and friends here. Bruce did not want to
install the plethora of dependencies of automake on his machine, so he
posted a patch to Makefile.in instead of Makefile.am.

To end this, I will look at Bruce patch and port try to port it to
automake.

cu, Bastian

PS (shameless-distro-plug): With APT[1] from Debian Linux, installing
all dependencies is as easy as 'apt-get install automake' and hitting
Return. The APT tool is also available[2] for Redhat Linux.
[1] http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/apt.html
[2] http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

--
     Bastian Kleineidam