Re: [Help-glpk] Command-line and GPL

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Command-line and GPL
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:16:49 +0400

> People build commercial applications all the time under Linux.  These
> applications implicitly call the Linux kernel, and perhaps explicitly
> call on a variety of commands (which are really applications) like "mv",
> "cp" and so on.  Yet these commercial applications are not under the
> GPL.  I think Luca's situation is similar.

I do not think so. Commercial software does not mean non-free (i.e.
proprietary) software. On the other hand, if someone does not want to
make his software free, he is free to make it non-free. However, in
this case it would be fair not to use free software at all, wouldn't
be? It seems to me this is the main point of GPL. (Sorry for my bad
English.)