Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek : a GLPK IDE for Windows - 0.2.8

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek : a GLPK IDE for Windows - 0.2.8
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:14:03 -0500

For what it's worth, I found Gusek to be a very useful classroom teaching tool.

For Windows users it's a painless one step install. For Mac users (my estimate is that 20-30% of our students and the majority of our faculty use Macs) it works well under Wine which adds an additional step to the install.  (Here are the instructions I gave the class: http://estm60203.blogspot.com/2009/11/installing-glpk-etc.html)

For learning GMPL, the quick edit/execute/analysis cycle works very well. GMPL is not easy for first time students, so it's great to have a tool that promotes learning.

Lately I've been experimenting with GLPK under Sage, which is another intriguing environment.

Jeff

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Yingjie Lan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I've updated the Gusek project
> on SourceForge:
> >    http://gusek.sourceforge.net
> >

> > Release 0.2.8 changes:
> >  - GLPK updated to 4.41.
> >  - Added Java files support (as in native
> SciTE).
> >  - Added gnuplot files support (testing - thanks
> to Noli
> > Sicad).
> >

> > Gusek provide an open source LP/MILP IDE for Win32,
> > packing a custom version of the SciTE editor linked to
> the
> > GLPK standalone solver (glpsol.exe).
> >

> Hi Luiz, Thanks, this is good stuff, keep up the good work.
> Yesterday we had a LP/MIP computer test and many students
> used lindo, but encountered a lot of problems. At least, the
> cplex lp format would be a good substitute for lindo
> modelling language, let alone the GMPL! The only thing
> missing is sensitivity report -- maybe I haven't found it
> yet. Next year, I would give Gusek a serious consideration
> if the sensivity analysis is there.

Well, I found it -- the sensitivity analysis is almost blameless! Great work!

Yingjie