Re: [Help-glpk] Solution Ranking

From: Terry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Solution Ranking
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 22:05:59 -0500

More specifically I want what this would give me:

Repeat X times:
1. Run the solver to get an optimum solution.
2. Add a constraint to make the last found optimal solution infeasible.
3. Go to step 1.

These are "the top X solutions" that I want. X could be between 10 and 200.
These solutions may all be equally optimum. Or, there may be one or more
equally optimal solutions followed by suboptimal solutions. It could fail to
find a feasible solution at any point without finding all X solutions. There
may be many more than X optimal solutions, in which case this would be some
random set from all the optimal solutions.

The problem I need to solve is an IP or MIP problem.

Let's ignore the impact of cutting planes for a minute, since I don't
understand them. Consider just a B&B algorithm. It should be possible to write
an algorithm that does the following:

1. Run the solver until it finds a feasible solution. Up to this point, nothing
needs to change from how glpk works now.
2. Continue searching until it finds an optimal solution, BUT don't prune any
leaf nodes. Keep all the leaf nodes for when we go looking for more solutions.
3. Add the optimal solution to a top X list.
4. Stop if you have X solutions.
5. Go to step 2 to find the next most optimal solution.

I imagine memory usage could be a serious issue from all the extra leaf nodes
to store. I can only hope that my problem is small enough that it will be okay.

The next question is, can I make glpk do this?

I don't need glpk to store the list of optimum solutions it finds, as long as I
can get them in a callback.

I don't think it will work to just hook into a feasibility callback and tell it
all solutions are infeasible. Because, my code won't know if a solution is
optimal. Because, it doesn't know the bound estimates for the other leaf nodes.
Can glpk give me the best bound estimation over all the other leaf nodes in the
feasibility callback so I know I'm looking at an optimal solution?

Am I way off base?

Thanks.
Terry