send-pr and multiple databases

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: send-pr and multiple databases
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:31:27 +0100

The current GNATS 4 documentation no longer mentions the "config" file, since most of the functions of this file was moved to the new dbconfig file.

However, in order to change the default behaviour of send-pr.sh, one still has to make a config file. According to the script, this file is supposed to be called send-pr.conf and it is to be located (by default) in /usr/local/etc/gnats. This is not documented, and no default send-pr.conf is created during installation.

I would like to suggest that all database-specific parameters such as DEFAULT_ORGANIZATION and MAIL_ADDR are removed from the script itself and put in a default send-pr.conf in the defaults directory. Then send-pr gets a new command-line option -d which is used to select a database to send the PR to.

All this is assuming that the mkdist utility is really gone (I could find no explicit account in the ChangeLog as to what was done to it, except that all the mkdist manpages were removed at some point), and that send-pr is really only supposed to be a local tool, speaking directly to gnatsd.

Comments, anyone?

Yngve Svendsen
IS Engineer
Clustra AS, Trondheim, Norway