Re: gnats/263

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: gnats/263
Date: 01 Jan 2002 00:31:25 +0100

    YS> The fact that the distribution would be larger is a valid point,
    YS> but I think the case for including PDF is strong (DVI isn't very
    YS> important, since it for most purposes is simply a step in the
    YS> creation of a Postscript file), since Info and Postscript are
    YS> cumbersome formats to handle when you aren't on a Linux / UNIX
    YS> platform. Very few Windows machines have software installed that
    YS> allows Postscript viewing on-sceen, and even sending a
    YS> Postscript file to the printer from a Windows machine is a
    YS> challenge.

To install and run GNATS you need a real machine available so this is no
strong argument :-).

    YS> Thus, I'd ask you to reconsider, and if PDF isn't included we
    YS> should at the very least provide a downloadable version from the
    YS> GNU website.

First, the Postscript file included in the beta1 distribution tarball is
a mistake, I haven't intended to include it.  I wanted to include only
Info files.

PDF, Postscript and HTML (this one as both tar.gz and an on-line manual)
will be available from the GNATS web site (is it worth to create them
already for beta1?).

The reason for inclusion of Info files is that on-line documentation,
unlike manuals intended basically for printing only, is a part of the
standard software installation.

    YS> A raw PDF created from the current manual runs at 365kB gzipped,
    YS> but I believe that running it through an optimization in Adobe
    YS> Acrobat should reduce the size significantly.

I don't think it's a good idea to provide something that can't be
created with free tools.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--