Re: gnats/263

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats/263
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 16:49:26 +0100

At 00:31 01.01.02 +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:
To install and run GNATS you need a real machine available so this is no
strong argument :-).

Well, some people (including me) have desktops that are non-UNIX and run GNATS on back-room servers with no X.

First, the Postscript file included in the beta1 distribution tarball is
a mistake, I haven't intended to include it.  I wanted to include only
Info files.

PDF, Postscript and HTML (this one as both tar.gz and an on-line manual)
will be available from the GNATS web site (is it worth to create them
already for beta1?).

I'd say we should try to create them for beta 1. I am planning to redo the GNATS web site next week (apart from the front page, which is fine), so I can create the PDF and publish it then.

The reason for inclusion of Info files is that on-line documentation,
unlike manuals intended basically for printing only, is a part of the
standard software installation.

Good point, but I'd still recommend including a HTML version in the distribution itself, since a lot of people are more comfortable with browsing web pages than using Info.

I don't think it's a good idea to provide something that can't be
created with free tools.

I have opinions which probably differ quite a lot from yours in that area, but this isn't the forum for that kind of thing. Anyway, we don't need to worry too much about the size of the resulting file when we publish it as a separate download.

- Yngve