Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:55:46 -0600

I'm just writing to say hi to Shawn.

And to mention that I can't remember the last time I cared about
default keybindings.  I think the combined power of xmodmap and
`global-set-key' makes default keymaps pretty irrelevant for anyone
who can't deal with the normal way of doing things or who thinks they
have a better way.  I use some default keybindings and lots that I
made myself.

My experience would seem to say that "making emacs easier for new
users" has nothing to do with default bindings, but it might depend
some on the programs for changing bindings and their documentation.

I think that my only complaint as a "new user" is that migrating from
Rmail to Gnus doesn't appear to be as easy as perhaps it should be.