Re: how to keep .emacs files in synch

From: weber
Subject: Re: how to keep .emacs files in synch
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:34:40 -0000

On Oct 4, 6:53 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> kj <so...@987jk.com.invalid> writes:
> > I regularly work on various systems, and it's a bit of a chore to
> > keep my .emacs files in synch.  I've tried various approaches, none
> > entirely satisfactory.  The two issues that give me the most
> > headaches are 1) to automate the process whereby changes to one
> > system's .emacs file gets reflected on the .emacs files on other
> > systems; and 2) to manage those modifications that are applicable
> > to only one or a subset of the systems.
>
> > I'd be interested to read how others solve this problem.
>
> I just use one emacs!
>
> Actually, thats a bit of a lie. I use one emacs at work. All editing is
> done through that emacs via tramp over an ssh connection. I run a separate
> emacs at home.
>
> I do maintain only a single .emacs file, which is under version control.  I
> have a SYSTEM_PROFILE environment variable, which is set to either home,
> work, work-laptop, home-laptop (there is actually only one laptop, whihc I
> may use at home or work). nearly all my emacs settings are constant, but I
> do have some specific settings that depend on whether I'm at home, work or
> on the laptop at home or work. For these profile specific sections, I just
> put my bits of elisp inside an if, cond, unless etc test which looks at the
> value of the envrioinment variable. Not very sophisticated, but it works
> well and isn't so complicated as to break everytime something changes or
> gets updated.
>
> The version control is a subversion repository which I can access from home
> or work. When I make a change, I commit them to the repository. When I'm on
> another system, I can update from the repository to get the latest
> changes.
>
> Another approach I've used for environments where I don't have a dedicated
> desktop or laptop is to NFS my home directory so that no matter what host I
> log into directly, my home directory (and hence my .emacs) is there. Of
> course, there are some risks and you need to keep in mind that NFS can be
> slow and is not good for things like mail folders (probably ok for maildir
> style, but not mbox). if the NFS export host goes down, then your pretty
> much stuffed on all systems.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

In my head a distributed versioning system like darcs would be nice
for keeping my emacs updated between pcs, so i could send patches to
myself via email...
But after trying it I found out that it also needs a central
repository for comparing what has changed. (I thought you could just
say "everything that changed since yesterday"