Re: Changing default dvi viewer.

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Changing default dvi viewer.
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:03:26 +0100

* Peter Dyballa (2008-02-09) writes:

> Am 08.02.2008 um 21:18 schrieb Ralf Angeli:
>
>> This is a very bad idea since you will have to check if something
>> changed in texdoc every time the TeX distribution is updated unless
>> you
>> don't mind missing new features and bug fixes or dealing with
>> potential
>> incompatibilities.
>
> This isn't such a big issue. TeX Live updates happen once in two
> years, before 2006 it was once per year.

What you are suggesting is just plain unnecessary because there are
other ways of achieving the goal of abusing `texdoc' as a replacement
for `run-mailcap' (aka `see'), namely setting the environment variables
used by `texdoc' or adapting the mailcap configuration.  Please, inform
yourself before making suggestions.

>> In addition you lose the capability of passing the paper size to the
>> viewer.  So this is an exceptionally bad suggestion for the case at
>> hand
>> where a DVI viewer is being dealt with.
>
> The latter is true, and I did not emphasise enough that David should
> only change one xdvi entry with texdoc (it is so obvious to me), the
> one that uses his default paper size.

And how would that help?  Then he still gets `xdvi' for the other cases.
Just do `M-x customize-variable <RET> TeX-output-view-style <RET>',
search for instances of "xdvi" and replace them with "kdvi", assuming
`kdvi' takes the same command line options as `xdvi'.  Big deal!

--
Ralf