migrating from ido to icicles

From: jeffrey . m . weiss
Subject: migrating from ido to icicles
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:11:10 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to use icicles exclusively and not use ido anymore.

There's one sticking point left, and that's how icicles deals with filename
completion.

The problem is with drilling down directory levels.  It seems to be that once
completion is active, both TAB and the cycle keys do the same thing.  The only
way to say "I accept the currently highlighted directory candidate, drill down
to start completing the next one" is M-SPC.

This seems like way more keypresses than necessary.  When you're finding files,
you're drilling directories more than matching filenames.  That has to be the
case, because file-paths have many directory levels but only one filename.

What I want is just for completion of filenames, for TAB to only activate
completion, and if it's already active, do what M-SPC currently does. Leave
cycling for keys bound specifically for that purpose.

Is that possible?  Doesn't seem available via config options, but maybe writing
my own command and binding it to C-x C-f would work.