Controlling gpg-agent from Emacs

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Controlling gpg-agent from Emacs
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:12:53 +0000

Hi,

I have a problem when running Emacs in terminal mode when triggering
things which require GPG (like "pass" to fetch a password). The pinentry
program doesn't seem to play well with Emacs causing the terminal to get
very confused.

Reading through the gpg-agent docs seems to imply it should be possible
to feed your passphrase to the agent ahead of time so it's ready to run
the decryption when gnupg is invoked (gpg-preset-passphrase). However I
can't get that to work (gpg-agent seems to think it's an unsupported
command).

I also found a shell script (https://github.com/ecraven/pinentry-emacs)
which seems to use emacsclient to prompt for a passphrase but the page
was loaded with enough caveats I haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone else got a better solution?

Cheers,

--
Alex Bennée