Re: Frequently Enabled Packages - Emacs-24.4 survey (Please participate)

From: William G. Gardella
Subject: Re: Frequently Enabled Packages - Emacs-24.4 survey (Please participate)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 13:46:57 +0000

> Whose drudgery?

The drudgery you're subjecting survey respondents to, and the drudgery
you're subjecting emacswiki administrators and editors to as they fix
problems in the document (read the talk page for the survey).

> You have no respect for 90+ who has participated in the survey.

On the contrary, I respect them enough that I want to lower the barrier
for participation, have a more accurate survey, and *use and improve
upon the automation that already exists* for documenting what modes and
features Emacs users are using.  Turnout is pretty low because
participation is onerous.  Low turnout, along with expecting people to
enter the data manually, will unfortunately contribute to an inaccurate
result.

> You are angry at my stupidity.  You can do better.

I already suggested a very simple way to do better.  Use the
self-documenting editor to, you know, document itself, as M-x
report-emacs-bug already does for minor modes, loaded features, and
other information on Emacs's state.  If having an editor wedded to a
Lisp environment is as good as we think it is (and I certainly think
so), then there must be a better way to document our configurations than
updating a website table by hand.