Re: .emacs poser

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: .emacs poser
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:52:15 +0100

>> 0 + a = å : + a = ä : + o = ö
>
> If set your input method to
>
>     latin-1-prefix
>
> you can use /a, :a, :o to input the above characters.
>
> Why is it that you want roll your own?

In the post, I describe how it differs:

1. [compose] har = h [compose] ar = här

2. The prefix/compose char is not inserted: you only
   see the letters that are part of the word. (Compare:
   you could setup an abbrev to make "nasa" into
   NASA. But I don't want NASA to look like "nasa",
   ever.)

3. No visual noise in the echo area.

Also, though a minor matter, I can set it up on a
mode-by-mode basis without having to use the poor man's
hooks.

> Btw, I see a swedish-postfix input method.  What you
> want is swedish-prefix input method.

That was my first attempt:

(quail-define-package "swedish-quail" "Swedish" "Swedish quail")
(quail-define-rules
 ("0A" ?Å) ("0a" ?å)
 (":A" ?Ä) (":a" ?ä)
 (":O" ?Ö) (":o" ?ö) )
(set-input-method 'swedish-quail)

However (again as I said even back then) I don't like
the insertion of the prefix before it transforms, and I
don't like the visual noise in the echo area.

> Seems like a good candidate for M-x report-emacs-bug.

Or a good candidate for writing that *gorgeous*
Elisp. Red hair, green eyes, soft skin...

> If you propose a patch, then you can get the prefixes
> that you yourself use.

I think this as a patch would have had a hard time as
most people probably want the semi-colon for natural
languages.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573