Re: Help on not opening buffer-menu

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Help on not opening buffer-menu
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:41:17 -0700

On 12/24/13 3:15 AM, Guillaume MULLER wrote:
I've searched for a solution for 2 days now and have not been able to find one,
so you're my last resource :)

Did you try the Emacs manual (C-h i)?

When I open multiple files using a command line like:
emacs a b c

Emacs insists on opening the files in various buffers (that's what I want), but
it insists on showing a window splitted horizontally with one of the buffers AND
a buffer-menu (that lists all the opened buffers).

The problem is I don't want to see the buffer-menu at all, it just pisses-me off
to have to close it all the time I open a list of files in Emacs... If I want
such a listing, then I can use c-x c-b, I do not need it when not asked.

Does anyone has a solution to either (i) not open the buffer-menu at all or (ii)
at least, automatically close it?

The section of the manual that documents the FILE command line argument
("Emacs Invocation" -> "Action Arguments")  has what you're looking for:

`FILE'
`--file=FILE'
`--find-file=FILE'
`--visit=FILE'
     Visit FILE using `find-file'.  *Note Visiting::.

     When Emacs starts up, it displays the startup buffer in one window,
     and the buffer visiting FILE in another window (*note Windows::).
     If you supply more than one file argument, the displayed file is
     the last one specified on the command line; the other files are
     visited but their buffers are not shown.

     If the startup buffer is disabled (*note Entering Emacs::), then
     FILE is visited in a single window if one file argument was
     supplied; with two file arguments, Emacs displays the files in two
     different windows; with more than two file argument, Emacs displays
     the last file specified in one window, plus a Buffer Menu in a
     different window (*note Several Buffers::).  To inhibit using the
     Buffer Menu for this, change the variable
     `inhibit-startup-buffer-menu' to `t'.

FYI, most of the time, I do not use emacs directly but a script that launches
emacsclient and that reads:
#!/bin/bash
(emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c "$@") || (echo emacs "$@")

So if the solution could work in this context, I would be very grateful!

Sorry, I don't know.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA