Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:59:53 -0500

In article <mailman.14497.1416867184.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) wrote:

> For example: Barry Margolin pointed out that he prefers 4 ansi terminals
> in a "shell frame".  I like to have a "file manager" frame with two
> dired buffers side by side. Gnus literally "demands" his own frame in
> its default mode of operation!

That wasn't me, it was someone replying to my post.

I just said I use one frame because it's an old habit. I've been using
Emacs since 1980, multiple frames weren't added until 1994.

Another advantage of windows over frames is they work the same whether
you're using Emacs in a GUI or terminal. Although I admit that when I
need to do a quick edit in a terminal, I usually use vi. This is usually
when I'm ssh'ed into a server, and they usually don't have Emacs
installed, and even if they did I wouldn't have all my extensions there.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA