Re: XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 23:33:51 +0100

On 2014-12-04, at 23:34, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I have a dream: to have the s-exp functions ignore closing parens,
>> brackets etc. /after/, say, things matching
>
>> [;:B]-?
>
> You can use syntax-propertize-function to change the syntax class of
> those parens.

Not working.  :-(

I decided to try this out manually.  I put this into my buffer:

\emph{Hello world! ;-)}

changed the mode to LaTeX-mode (from AUCTeX), put the point at the ")"
character, and did

M-: (put-text-property (point) (1+ (point)) 'syntax-table '(1))

After inspection by C-u C-x =, it turned out that nothing like a
"syntax-table" property got its way into the buffer.

Strangeness: if I change the name of the property to, e.g., my-prop,
putting (and getting) the property value works as expected.

Note: I also set parse-sexp-lookup-properties to t; unsurprisingly, it
didn't help.

Looks like either a bug in Emacs, or a bug in my mental model of how
this should work.

The same happens with emacs -Q (though without AUCTeX, just in the stock
Emacs latex-mode).

>         Stefan

Best,

--