Re: Input methods (Emacs and others), plain X [was: Japanese input in Li

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Input methods (Emacs and others), plain X [was: Japanese input in Linux environment]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 16:51:44 +0200

> Nearly. Xdm started at boot, session via
> window manager (Fvwm). Pretty classic.
> Reached that point after a long detour
> through Gnome and a short stay in XFCE.

OK, Fvwm and Xfce. I use Openbox but the only
thing I do with it is Alt-Tab between windows
so I suppose I could do with whatever.
Actually if you have X and a WM the purpose of
a "desktop" eludes me - why do you want it?
To make everything have the same "look and
feel"? But isn't that what the GFX programming
library and WM do? I believe Gnome and KDE were
efforts when the Mac and PC (Windows) were big
on desktops - should be the Windows 95-era?
People that came to Linux didn't recognize it
to be a computer system and it made no sense to
them. However to then bring over the desktop
seems a bit illogical because don't people come
to Linux because they don't like what they had
before? Nowadays I suppose Gnome isn't even
a DE anymore.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573