Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 17:38:07 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 03:27:54 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I agree that our situation with IDE features
> > is quite bleak
>
> What IDE features are those? (Not
> a rhetorical question.)

Out of the important features listed in

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

we completely lack support for code completion and refactoring. Our
debugging support is only up to speed with GDB, which means we are
limited in the programming languages we can support reasonably well.
(And even gdb-mi is just good, e.g., it cannot display complex
structures unless you install Python plugins; and its development
stagnated).  Our code search capabilities are rudimentary, and don't
support well modern languages like Java and C++.  So 4 out of 6
important features are either missing or have serious deficiencies.

Sure, add-on packages are available to provide some of the missing
features, but they don't always work well together, and ion any case,
Emacs should have these features built-in, if we want (and we do want)
to claim the title of programmer's editor.

> Actually in the literal sense of the word
> (acronym) I think Emacs is the _ultimate_ IDE
> for doing anything and everything with
> a computer.

In theory.  But not in practice, not at this time.

> And if nobody has or is, why care/complain
> about it? Let it be, man.

Because we want to be "the ultimate IDE".