Re: Bookmarks in EWW

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Bookmarks in EWW
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 09:41:43 +0100

On 2020-03-26, at 03:29, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> Attached is something I threw together, by removing some
>> of the Bookmark+ features for EWW and adapting the code
>> to what vanilla bookmark.el offers.  Completely untested;
>> as is.  Perhaps you can make some use of it.
>
> Thanks, Drew.  Seems your approach is similar but more feature rich.
>
> Most features are too much (I guess) for vanilla Emacs in the sense that
> Emacs bookmarks don't support them in other implementations.  The most
> basic and interesting feature in my eyes is the code that controls
> whether the bookmarks opens in a new session (and how the buffer is
> named).  Unfortunately it seems eww still hasn't factored the "open in a
> new session" code out of the command that follows links, so one can only
> use a hack to control the behavior.
>
> Marcin, how do you think about the features of Drew's code?  Is there
> one you definitely want to have in any case?

Well, I looked through the list, and frankly, I don't care about most of
them.  My needs are *very* simple - I just want to tell Emacs "save the
currently visited URL as a bookmark under name such-and-such".  But
I can see how other people might need at least some of them,
e.g. controlling whether Emacs should open a new eww session when
jumping to a bookmark or not (I rarely use eww, basically only for a few
cases, so I don't care about multiple eww buffers).

Thanks for working on this,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl