Re: Bookmarks in EWW

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Bookmarks in EWW
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:49:49 +0100

On 2020-03-23, at 21:41, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just noticed that Emacs bookmarks do not work in EWW (which has
>> its own bookmarks).  Is there a way to use Emacs bookmarks with EWW
>> (other than bookmark+, which is too heavy for me)?
>
> Seems like `bookmark-make-record-function' is there to implement things
> like this.  Several Emacs modes use it to provide bookmarks (Info,
> doc-view, etc).  Haven't tried but looks promising.  Bookmarks can have
> a `handler' field to implement non-standard behavior.  Your
> `bookmark-make-record-function' should return an according record using
> an eww handler you want to write.  Look how the other modes do it.

Thanks.  I've seen that you managed to convert this suggestion into
a prototype before I replied to your email...  Thanks again for that,
too!  I hope to have this feature soon on master - I use bookmarks
heavily for many things (files, local and remote directories), and
online docs in eww would be a natural thing for me.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl