Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 18:21:34 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-13 18:03]:
> "Some [...] beginners will initially have a low threshold for things not
> working out of the box and I don't want to (continue to) scare them off by
> immediately forcing them to learn how to add key bindings and what that even
> means.  There's a lot of talk about making Emacs friendlier for beginners
> and this is a small step in that direction." [1]
>
> The proposal goes exactly into that same direction, and has the same
> motivation.
>
> [1] https://github.com/magit/magit/pull/4237#issuecomment-723495053

"Emacs functions are defined within parenthesis like ( and ). The
items withn parenthesis are a list. That is why LISP as programming
language means LISt Processing. At first place of the list user would
give a command to computer such as `global-set-key' and at next
following places various parameters to the command.

Following LISP expression would place `magit-function' on the key
Control-c followed by the letter m.

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c m") 'magit-function)"

The above is my attempt to describe how one could describe a function.

Describing a function to teach users is equally costly effort just as
it is explaining how users need not be teached anything and treat them
as not very bright (mildly said).

Again:

> "Some [...] beginners will initially have a low threshold for things not
> working out of the box and I don't want to (continue to) scare them off by
> immediately forcing them to learn how to add key bindings and what that even
> means.  There's a lot of talk about making Emacs friendlier for beginners
> and this is a small step in that direction." [1]

So that comes from Magit? How can version control system developer
treat their users as not being very bright (I am just deliberately
avoiding saying "stupid")? Makes no logic to me.