Re: Emacs i18n

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:05:36 +0200

Thibaut Verron wrote:

> You misread what Jean said. This is not a list of
> programming languages coming from France, it is a list of
> languages where some or all the keywords are in French, by
> default or optionally.

Yeah, I didn't recognize even most of them I think, but there
are languages from France, Prolog, right?

   Prolog 1972 France, Alain Colmerauer, logic/AI programming

that is the only hit for "France" in my HIST file:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/COMP-HIST
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/bot/scripts/hist
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#bot

What about Pascal? Nope, Switzerland

  Pascal      1970 Niklaus Wirth. Switzerland

"Pascal Sol" is French, don't know what that is tho...

  Pascal Sol was designed around 1983 by a French team to
  implement a Unix-like system named Sol. It was standard
  Pascal level-1 ... The Sol team later on moved to the
  ChorusOS project to design a distributed operating system."
  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(programming_language)>

Doesn't sound like they had a lot of success tho, see?
Should have named it after the great US space-geometry
mathematician Yogi Berra instead...

But I haven't systematically added "nationality" in the HIST
file so maybe some more French connections there, check it
out, if you'd like...

Here is some Prolog from a person (me) who didn't understood
it, but understood it enough not to like it, well, not for
that project anyway:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-2/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#terror

Prolog, CS Sudoku-solver logic-programming thing, right?
Too much science for me anyway... But I'm sure it's good.
I BTW had a friend who made an interface from Prolog to some
database, that to my astonishment when I heard of it didn't
exist at that point, so that was a cool thing he did, on the
BSc level even! I wish I could CC him this one decade after he
probably completed it...

> I personally don't support translating programming languages.
> I had too many unpleasant experiences with Excel/Libreoffice
> (I don't remember which one was translating the functions to
> French, but not both, and it was very confusing).

ikr? 100%

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal