Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 08:50:32 +0800

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 7:59 AM Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > But, BTW, I haven't done any configuration for gnus [1], but instead,
> > I noticed the following `custom-set-variables' setting in my
> > `~/.emacs.d/init.el':
> >
> > '(send-mail-function 'mailclient-send-it)
> >
> > If I want to use gnus to do the job through my Gmail account, what
> > adjustments should I make?
>
> If you don't get satisfying answers here, emacs.gnus.user and
> emacs.gnus.general are Gnus specific groups to ask.

Are these newsgroups or mailing lists? I can't find them on:
<https://www.gnus.org/resources.html>.

> I am using Gnus.  M-x emacs-bug-report still doesn't start Gnus, I get a
> buffer in message-mode instead.  You get the same when starting to
> compose a new message from within Gnus.
>
> You might want to start with one of the tasks (1) sending Email from
> Emacs and (2) reading Email and News using Gnus.
>
> For sending mail, AFAIR you need a sendmail program installed (or did
> this change...? I don't reacall).  I installed esmtp since it's easy to
> configure it.  I have a ~/.authinfo.gpg with servers, usernames and
> passwords (including the smtp-Server I use for sending mails), and, I
> guess, that's already all I config needed outside Emacs.
>
> Then some basic setup like
>
> (setq-default
>  send-mail-function #'smtpmail-send-it
>  mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
>  user-mail-address ... )
>
> You will want to store Email addresses somewhere, there are multiple
> solutions for that (EBDB, BBDB, Org, probably more).
>
> For basic stuff, i.e. unless you want to use Gnus more or less as your
> one and only mail reader, you can also choose a more lightweight
> approach inside Emacs, instead of Gnus.
>
> If you do want to use Gnus, there is some more setup involved, but it is
> not harder to setup than other mail readers if you are used to Emacs.
>
> There is a cool gnus-mock called package for testing purposes available
> in Gnu Elpa that always starts with the same basic but functional setup,
> if you just want to try out how it looks like, and try out first
> settings.

Thank you for letting know this interesting tool [1].

[1] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/gnus-mock.html

> Gnus then has its own `gnus-init-file', that's where your Gnus specific
> settings would go.
>
> Some variables you probably want to set:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq-default
>  mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/my-user-name")) ;"system" mail
>  gnus-message-archive-method ;where stuff is saved
>  '(nnml "archive"
>         (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive/")
>         (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>         (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/Mail/archive/newsgroups"))
>  gnus-message-archive-group "sent" ;your sent mails go there
>  mail-archive-file-name nil ;have forgotten why I have this
>  gnus-article-save-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/archive/read/")
>  nntp-authinfo-file          (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo.gpg"); see above
>  message-directory           (expand-file-name "~/Mail/")
>
>  epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t
>
>  gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  '((nnimap "Michael_Heerdegen@web.de"
>            (nnimap-address "imap.web.de"))
>    (nntp "Gmane" (nntp-address "news.gmane.io"))
>    (nntp "news.gnus.org"))
>  gnus-select-method (car gnus-secondary-select-methods)
>
>  gnus-default-article-saver #'gnus-summary-save-in-folder
>
>  gnus-blocked-images #'gnus-block-private-groups)
> #+end_src
>
> Could be that there are some redundancies, and you want to use your own
> Email addresses (I guess).
>
> That's the answer to the question what you would have to do.  There are
> probably lots of good "How to get started" manuals out there, and the
> Gnus manual itself is written in a nice and funny way, don't hesitate to
> read at length.

Thank you very much again for your helpful and exhaustive explanations.

> Michael.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province