Re: When is a syntax-propertize-function called when parse-sexp-lookup-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When is a syntax-propertize-function called when parse-sexp-lookup-properties is t for a current buffer?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 08:54:26 -0400

> What I'd like to understand is what calls the generated function, providing
> it the 2 arguments (start & end) and when should it be called.

It's called from various places in various cases.
Most importantly/directly it's called by `syntax-ppss` as well as
"internally" from the C-level syntax scanning code (e.g. the code
implementing `parse-partial-sexp`, `forward-sexp`, ...).

In shouldn't need/want to know the details, normally.

> Are these calls protected against error so I can't see them if they occur?

No, although some of them can occur in contexts where the error might be
silenced or at least not displayed in a prominent way.

Why do you ask?
Are you having an actual problem, or are you asking out of curiosity?

        Stefan