RE: [External] : don't show dired header

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : don't show dired header
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 15:48:45 +0000

> How is it useful when not using subdirs?

It shows the absolute name of the directory.
By default, only the relative name is shown
in the mode-line or frame title.

You could of course show that info elsewhere.

> To tell the size left on the disk?

I don't see that on the same line, in vanilla
Emacs 27 or prior, or with an Emacs 28 pretest
from 2022-02-10.

Info about the number of files and disk usage
is instead shown on a separate line after the
dir-name line.  And that separate line is
hidden when you hide details (with `)`).

If you see that info on the same line as the
dir name with `emacs -Q', then that change
must have occurred after Emacs 27.
___

With Dired+ and files+.el or ls-lisp+.el, that
line of info is different, BTW:

 files 102/220 space used 13642 available 140788

meaning that the buffer shows 102 files out of
the 220 that are in the directory (e.g. you use
`dired' with a wildcard), and 13642 Kbytes are
used for the dir, out of 140788 Kbytes total.

And if you use help-fns+.el then that info is a
link/button (RET, mouse-2), which shows you more
info (`describe-file'), in *Help*, including the
times of last access, last modification, and last
status change; the number of links; the UID; the
GID; the Inode; and the device number.

> If so, make it appear in the mode line instead
> of wasting one full line for that. And have
> that optional as well when at it ...

Go for it.  Use the sauce, Luke.

> See this screenshot...

In your screenshot I still see the directory
header line.  Did you mean to remove it?