Re: lamers on IRC

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 23:42:51 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>> One problem with IRC is the presence of lamers, luckily
>> this problem can be solved easily with technology starting
>> with the IRC client. Today I learned how to do this with my
>> client, ERC:
>
> Emacs channel for years has no moderators who moderate by
> common sense and police the channel for good behavior, there
> are no special rules, and those policies displayed like to
> avoid discrimination and asshatery will be quickly broken by
> those few dominating over larger group of people there [...]

But actually I think that's good, you just configure your own
clients do do that for you.

I.e., everyone has or can have his own rules, but no one is
forced to live by everyone's rules.

The problem with "everyone's rules" is that if the web cops
are not sensible, they'll impose their behavior ... and who is
to say if they are or are not BTW? The person kicked out will
always think they are not anyway, so at the very least the
system is imperfect. And there isn't a solution - web cops for
the web cops? But then - etc.

And if that is the problem with the web cop solution in
general, the practical problem is that what people are
attracted to that role - and why.

But actually, the reason I wrote that post was ... ah,
whatever :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal