Re: Question about customising faces

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Question about customising faces
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:57:32 +0200

On Tue, Aug 30 2022, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Too bad, because in my experience `set-face-attribute` is more often
> a problem than a solution.  Maybe you should try to use
> `face-spec-set` instead.

Didn't know about `face-spec-set`. Is there a recommended way to customise a
face in one's init file without using Customize?

> Regarding your problem with `package-selected-packages`, I plead guilty.
> Not sure how best to address that problem.  In the short term, you can try
> something like
>
>     (advice-add 'package--save-selected-packages :override #'ignore)
>
> tho it probably comes with other undesirable side-effects.  I suggest
> you file a bug report (and send me the bug#nb) so we can discuss
> alternatives (and if you filed one already, just send me the bug#nb).

I can file a bug report, but note that this has been discussed before:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00958.html

(The discussion at the time morphed into a discussion about persistent storage,
which I think is also still an open issue...)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments