Re: Annoying hangup with "man"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Annoying hangup with "man"
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 07:16:12 +0200

> From: David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 12:47:05 -0800
>
> I'm using GNU emacs v28.2 on Cygwin 3.4.6-1.x86_64.
>
> For quite a while now, I've been running into a very annoying bug with the
> "man" package.  When I execute "man", if I type the item I want info on too
> quickly, it hangs Emacs completely, and I have to kill it and restart it,
> losing anything I was working on.  If I'm careful and type slowly, it
> doesn't hang. This often happens after only entering one or two characters.
>
> It appears that it hangs at about the character where it would start to
> provide completion proposals, but I've seen it happen before that. Today
> I'm testing it with "curl". I saw it hang after entering "cu", but then
> after a restart, it happened after just "c". If I just put my hands down
> after the prompt appears and wait a second or two, I see the completion
> proposals appear after "cu".

Emacs 28 is no longer maintained.

I suggest to try Emacs 29 (v29.2 was just released), and if the
problem still persists there, report this as a bug together with all
the details necessary for reproducing the problem.  (My suggestion is
to base the recipe on a man page that has wider availability than that
of curl, though; so simple shell command like 'ls', perhaps.)