smtpmail-send-queued-mail fails with error 504 5.5.2

From: rameiko87
Subject: smtpmail-send-queued-mail fails with error 504 5.5.2
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:01:47 +0000

Hello,

Could you please kindly help me with this? When I have smtpmail-queue-mail set to nil, sending emails works beautifully. I then change smtpmail-queue-mail to t: then the text of the email is saved in my queued email folder together with another file specifying the value of smtpmail-recipient-address-list (it contains the same address as in the To: header of my message). When I invoke smtpmail-send-queued-mail I get the following error:

Sending failed: 504 5.5.2 <usernameofmymachine@fedora>: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address

The strange thing is that usernameofmymachine@fedora would be the default address to appear in the From: header of C-x m, but 1. I set the variable message-user-fqdn (and it's different from "fedora"), so actually when I press C-x m I have usernameofmymachine@message-user-fqdn which is already different from usernameofmymachine@fedora 2. Before sending (that is to say, queuing), I do change the From: to my email address, and it appears correctly on the text file saved in the queued folder!

By the way, smtpmail-store-queue-variables is nil.

Please, help! Thanks so much.