Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:40:38 +0100

On Wed 31 Jan 2024, 19:35 Steinar Bang, <sb@dod.no> wrote:

> > I am not familiar with markdown-mode, but from what I can read, as far as
> > headings are concerned, it already has all you want.
>
> Yes, but what I'm missing is that it also works for lists.
>
> My fingers keep expecting TAB to fold and unfold lists and my head keeps
> getting surprised when the list item is indented instead.
>
> > The key bindings might be different, but that is easy to change as you
> > say. It also seems that code-block edition is already there, with C-c
> > C-s p and C-c ' -- so again, you just need to rebind to your liking.
>
> Yes... but that code fragment is based on indentation instead of
> backtick marking (which seems to be the "modern" markdown way of doing
> it...? I'm no markdown expert)

It seems to be C-c C-s C for that.

> > For lists, you could see if orgstruct-minor-mode does the trick.
> > If not, would turning org-mode temporarily, or opening an indirect buffer
> > in org-mode, be acceptable?
>
> Not sure I understand how either of the two are supposed to work, so
> hard to say if they would be acceptable or not...? :-)

> Will they give the feeling of editing the lists in the markdown document
> or will I have to switch out of in of a different buffer like for code
> editing.

My understanding is that with orgstruct, everything should "just work" as
if it was org-mode, as long as the point is on the first line of a list
item. It should also be easy to try, just turn on the minor mode in a
markdown-mode and see if it feels natural.

With org-mode, it would be toggling between modes or toggling between
buffers. But not quite like code editing, as you would still have the
context around.

But come to think of it, it would only work for edition commands, not for
visibility -- those effects would be reverted when switching back to
markdown-mode or to the original buffer. :/

Best wishes,
Thibaut