help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] few questions

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] few questions
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 16:21:53 -0700

On Friday 05 January 2007 01:49, Fabian Holler wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm very new to gnunet and a few things are  still unclear for me after
> reading the manuals.
> Here are my questions:
>
> * I'm running gnunetd on my server, is there a way install the gtk
> client on another machine and connect to the Server?

Yes, you will just have to edit your gnunetd.conf file to allow access from
the client IP (or subnet).  Also, you need to configure the client
(gnunet.conf) to talk to a gnunetd daemon on the server (replacing localhost
with the remote IP).

> I installed on my Gentoo box gnunet-gtk but don't find a option to
> connect to another host than the localhost with the GUI.

The GTK interface does not have an options dialog, you need to use
gnunet-setup or edit gnunet.conf (~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf) by hand for the
remote connection.

> * Is there a way to figure out  if my indexed file is allready spreaded
> in the network?

No.

> * Did gnunet support download from many different sources at the same time?

Yes. But you cannot tell if it is happening or not.

> * If I would remove the user that indexed the directory from the system,
> (ie gnunet runs under user gnunet, I've inserted the file with user
> fabian) would the files still be indexed? Or is this saved under the ~ dir?

The account can be removed, the files will stay indexed as long as they are
accessible by the user running gnunetd and are not moved.

> * I've indexed a few files, If I know search for the file I only find it
> if i search for a single word of the filename, If I combine them i don't
> find anything...
> ie: filename: Turbo man 3d.avi
> I would find the file If I search for Turbo or man, but not if I search
> for turbo man, If i search for the whole filename I will find the file
> too...

I suspect what you want is to do a search for
"Turbo AND man", that should work (but I do not test this feature very often,
there are some pending feature requests on Mantis for making the search
nicer/more intuitive to use).

> This is a little bit strange., to find a specify thing I must often
> search for a String, if I would search only for a part of the name I
> will get many result for complete other things...

You will get results for anything that was uploaded under the given keyword.
There is currently no good way for GNUnet to prevent abuse of keywords.

> * I want index a directory recursively, if I delete/add a file, the file
> should automatically indexed/removed from gnunet.

You can index directories recursively (will happen automatically), but
add/delete changes are not yet supported.  This is another feature which is
already filed on Mantis and which will be worked on once we have the time to
do it.

> Every file should be find able during keywords, not only the whole
> collection..

There is the -K (--global-key) option.  Also, you do not want to use "-D" if
you want LE-generated keywords for individual files.

> Would be
> "gnunet-insert -P cow -t books  -R -V /data/misc/ -D"
> the right command for this?
> Or must i also specify -i and then gnunet search every -i$time seconds
> for changes in the directory?
> What is if this should'nt be a namespace, only a automatically periodly
> recursively indexed directory?

Namespace/directory update intervals do not imply that GNUnet will
automatically re-run the insert command as necessary for you (at this point).
Again, these are issues that would probably fall under the "cleanup the
publication process" Mantis feature request.

> * -S sporadic option means that I must update my namespace/collection
> manual right?

Both sporadic and interval mean that you must do it manual at this point.  The
difference is for the receiver: should  he expect periodic updates, or should
the receiver expect updates to happen on an irregular basis.  Admittedly,
this is confusing and one of the things that will need fixing once namespace
support is added back to gnunet-gtk.

> The Collection will be reachable through the old ID?
> If not how peoples know that there is an updated release?

Old releases will always continue to be reachable.  The GNUnet client is just
instructed to look for updates.

> * Providing -N to gnunet-insert simply means that a user knows the id
> for an upcoming release and can search for the id using gnunet-search?
> I don't understand the -N thing, also the example in the manpages is the
> strange..
> "gnunet-insert -R -P RIAA -t MUSIC -N VIDEOS /home/ogg" -> the next
> update will be named Videos but still contain ogg Audio files???

The "-N" option lets the uploader determine the ID for the next version of the
collection.  Otherwise, GNUnet will pick a random ID for you. Again, I'm
aware that these things are not yet really usable, needing both better
implementation, better UI and better documentation.

> I'm using GNUnet v0.7.0e, Debian sarge-backports 0.7.0e-3~bpo.1 package.

Oh, my answer about the "-D" option is for 0.7.1 (IIRC the option has the
inverse meaning in 0.7.0e).

I hope this helps a bit ;-)

Christian