Re: NSSockPort ?

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: NSSockPort ?
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:22:16 -0400

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
To: "Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: help-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:40:24 +0100

On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 06:35 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

Hi,

 I try to write a program talking to cddb server.
 What's the official way to do that ?
 There is no NSSockPort in GNUstep.
 Should I either create a socket by native library,
 then use NSFileHandle to read/write;
 or use the NSURLHandle to do that ?
 If I try to talk to the server via http port,
 is there any ready-to-use class I can use in GNUstep ?

You can use NSFileHandle ... the GNUstep implementation has several extensions to make both synchronous and asynchronous network operation with or without SSL
nice and easy.

You probably want to use +fileHandleAsClientAtAddress:service:protocol:

 I tried that, but I don't know what's the service and protocol ?
For example, I need to connect to either http://www.freedb.org:80 or cddb://freedb.freedb.org:8880.
 Protocol seems to be "TCP", and using "CDDBP" as service doesn't work.
 It will complain "bad address-service-protocol combination".
 And how do I specify the port number ?
 It will complain that 'gethostbyname() can't find freedb.freedb.org:8880'.

 Where could I find some details about that ?

 Thanx

 Yen-Ju