Re: Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 13:51:12 -0700

On Feb 2, 2013, at 1:18 PM, Richard Owlett <address@hidden> wrote:

> Using a newer version would be nice ---- BUT <grin>
> I'm installing from the Debian Squeeze 8 DVD set because I do not have high
> speed internet available.
> Also it appears that Grub 2 is available only as source. I've not attempted
> compile link load … for over 30 years.

It's strange to me that a September 2012 distribution is using a 2 year old
version of GRUB. Anyway, if you want the current behavior you need to use a
current version, I don't see a way around this.

>>> Do I have any options except following full manual edit of grub.cfg?
>>> [my reading of http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html suggests I
>>> don't.]
>>
>> Directly editing the grub.cg isn't advised,
>
> That was apparent from the abundant number of warnings on the issue.
>

> > it's better to make the changes in /etc/default/grub and then running
> > grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg which reads the
> >  /etc/default/grub configuration, and produces a new grub.cfg from scratch.
>
> So no semi-automatic tools to do what I specified :<

Yes it's called grub-mkconfig, which runs quite a large number of scripts to
automate the location of all installed systems and create a grub.cfg that
contains them. Some distributions disable this, and again there have been a LOT
of changes in 2 years when it comes to OS discovery, and writing out the
grub.cfg. I don't even know if Debian uses grub-mkconfig to find its other
installs.

The way grub-mkconfig produces unique entries is with GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR= in
/etc/default/grub. Again, it depends on the distribution setup of this, and it
may be new in 2.00 and not in 1.98. In the case of Fedora 18 with the 2.00
version of GRUB2 that line is:

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"

So you need some modification of this for your distribution, so grub knows
where to find system release info; and you'd need to give each installed system
some unique derivative release name/number in order to get unique entries in
the GRUB menu. I'm not sure how you'd expect GRUB to be capable of doing this
automatically, it needs to be told.

Chris Murphy