Re: Installing grub2 with /boot on software raid

From: Wesley PA4WDH
Subject: Re: Installing grub2 with /boot on software raid
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 12:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

It took me some time, but i got back to the point *before* the double-free
corruption. In uninstalled every program i installed since the first grub2
install, recompiled grub2 and all it's dependencies, and now things seem a bit
more the way they should be.

Which brings me back to my original question :-)

To recap:
I have one drive with three partitions, two in software raid for /boot, one as
a single drive in software raid for /. I admit this is a bit odd, but i will be
mirrored against a second physical drive as soon as i get a reliable boot,
until that time the second drive contains my rescue system.

Some outputs:
# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf96d7342

/dev/sda1            2048      264191      131072   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2          264192     8652799     4194304   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3         8652800     8914943      131072   fd  Linux raid autodetect

sda1 and sda3 are the mirrored /boot's, and sda2 is for /

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sda2[0]
      4194240 blocks [1/1] [U]

md0 : active raid1 sda3[1] sda1[0]
      131008 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

# grub2-install /dev/sda
Path `/boot/grub2' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible.
Aborting.

This is what it all started with :-) and i see that grub2-probe is behaving
different now. At the time of the double free corruption at least it returned
"ext2" when pointed to /dev/md0 first which indeed is the filesystem on there,
but now:

# grub2-probe -d /dev/md0
grub2-probe: error: disk `md0' not found.
# ls -l /dev/md0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 0 Jul  5 18:50 /dev/md0

And by the way, it doesn't seem to cause any problems now, but grub2-probe
/dev/sda1 still gives the double free corruption, but it does work with
non-raid partitions.

Any clues ?

Best regards,
Wesley