Re: grub fails to boot, prints only a single dot

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub fails to boot, prints only a single dot
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 17:33:09 +0300

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Alex Regan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

>> Do you see word GRUB printed before dot?
>

> No, just a dot.

>>> I'm pretty sure I've cycled through all four disks in the BIOS boot
>>> order,
>>> although it's possible. It's somewhat difficult because all four disks
>>> are
>>> identical and the BIOS doesn't provide a way to distinguish one from the
>>> other.
>>>
>>> I've also even tried to rearrange the disks physically by rearranging the
>>> disk trays in the chassis...
>>>
>>> I've also installed grub on all four disks. Wouldn't this serve to direct
>>> the boot information to the disks with /boot and the real root?
>>>

>> Well, GRUB prints dots when it loads parts of core.img from disk.
>> Single dot would imply single extent which is OK. Then it jumps to it.
>> Now if for whatever reasons it got garbage from disk. of course
>> attempt to execute it will be unsuccessful.
>>
>> Could you boot any live media, run
>> https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript/raw/master/bootinfoscript
>> and send result to me?
>

> The system is running now from a sysrescue CDROM and booted to the system
> disk. I've run the script and included the results here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/Q1A815Y7

Looks good (for each of four disks).

=> Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
    for (mduuid/ad9fa861cc3b7cc3409746ed14c25431)/grub2.

Could you run grub2-install using additional parameters

--debug --debug-image=all

and send me output of grub2-install? debug-image will enable debugging
for loaded grub image so you hopefully will get a lot of output; it
may give some hint where it stops.