Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 20:00:22 +0100

> > So the true question is how to implement?  If using Shell script
>
> Using shell scripts would mean one script per command? I usually
> have a set of commands that I would like to be able to run for
> every project. I would like to minimize the number of extra files
> in my project directory, so I would lean towards your Scheme API
> option.

There's nothing that stops a shell script from exposing multiple
commands. Consider for example the SysV init scripts. They typically
utilize the `case` statement to support commands like "start", "stop",
"status", etc.

So you could craft a solution where from the root of your project you
can run `./my-script.sh command1`, `./my-script.sh command2`, etc.

Also, you mentioned you "would like to minimize the number of extra
files" in your "project directory". Does that mean you don't actually
mind creating more files in a *subdirectory* thereof? If you don't, how
about putting command scripts under, say, `my-scripts/` and running
them as `my-scripts/command1.sh`, `my-scripts/command2.sh`, etc.?

Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #25: blessed Maksymilian Binkiewicz
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #25: błogosławiony Maksymilian Binkiewicz
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksymilian_Binkiewicz
-- (sig_end)