Re: Strange error when adding module gnu/packages/engineering

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Strange error when adding module gnu/packages/engineering
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 15:29:12 -0400

Hi Reza,

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

>> Thinking more about it, since this a new module, there shouldn't be any
>> recursive dependency problem.
>> Probably you are missing some #:use-module at the top of your new
>> module.  I'd start minimal and see what works, and evaluate the package
>> at the REPL for more accurate messages perhaps.
>
> I could boil it down a bit: when commenting out `#:use-module (gnu
> packages commencement)` in gnu/packages/engineering.scm the error
> vanishes but the freehdl package in module engineering does not build
> anymore (due to gcc-toolchain missing).
> Is there a cycle inside module commencement? Seems really strange to me?

That's a tell sign of a Guile module top-level circular dependency.  I
think the usual way to work around that is usually to resort to use (@
(gnu packages toolchain) gcc-toolchain) in place of the input, so that
importing it at the top level is not necessary (the evaluation of inputs
is delayed, eliminating the cycle).

I hope that helps,

--
Thanks,