Emacs EXWM requires restart after a Guix Home reconfigure

From: Fabio Natali
Subject: Emacs EXWM requires restart after a Guix Home reconfigure
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 13:02:35 +0100

Dear All,

I seem to be having a problem with my current Guix Home + Emacs + EXWM
setup.

Every time a new package is installed via a Guix Home reconfigure, EXWM
requires a restart for the new package to become available, i.e. visible
to Emacs. More details follow.

Setup:

- Guix Home to manage my user's environment
- Emacs EXWM as a window manager
- A single Emacs daemon + multiple emacsclient instances

Steps to reproduce the problem:

- Add a new Emacs package to a Guix Home declaration =config.scm=
- Run =guix home reconfigure config.scm=
- The new package is not available and can't be loaded in Emacs
- Run =M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages=
- The new package is still not available

The package is normally visible from a new Emacs instance (new server)
or if restarting the primary Emacs server (and hence restarting EXWM,
which is inconvenient).

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing or doing wrong? Can anyone
indicate a solution or perhaps something that could mitigate the issue
and avoid the restart?

Thanks, best wishes, Fabio.