Re: Emacs EXWM requires restart after a Guix Home reconfigure

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Emacs EXWM requires restart after a Guix Home reconfigure
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:08:11 -0400

Hi Fabio,

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I seem to be having a problem with my current Guix Home + Emacs + EXWM
> setup.
>
> Every time a new package is installed via a Guix Home reconfigure, EXWM
> requires a restart for the new package to become available, i.e. visible
> to Emacs. More details follow.
>
> Setup:
>
> - Guix Home to manage my user's environment
> - Emacs EXWM as a window manager
> - A single Emacs daemon + multiple emacsclient instances
>
> Steps to reproduce the problem:
>
> - Add a new Emacs package to a Guix Home declaration =config.scm=
> - Run =guix home reconfigure config.scm=
> - The new package is not available and can't be loaded in Emacs
> - Run =M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages=
> - The new package is still not available

I think there's nothing special about 'guix home' or ExWM here; it
happens with any Emacs package installation; Emacs must be restarted
completely (M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages doesn't suffice).  It's a
regression that was introduced with the move to use
subdirectories/subdirs files for the Emacs package installation layout,
in 79cfe30f3eb10bd3dbf7aa0f6e873c945d7d0ea5 ("build-system: emacs: Use
subdirectories again."), if memory serves.

We should open a bug about that and see if we can come up with a fix!

--
Thanks,
Maxim