Is it possible to system reconfigure from a local guix git?

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Is it possible to system reconfigure from a local guix git?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 01:15:37 +0200

Hi,

I'm still using i686 to be able to know when it's broken and if
time permits, to send patches to fix some of the issues affecting me.

Since patches often take a long time to be reviewed (we probably need
more reviewers), I was wondering if it was possible to reconfigure from
a local Guix git checkout.

Running a system straight from a git repository would also enable me to
improve my workflow and test better the patches.

The issue I have here is that I can easily do that:
> $ guix shell -D guix
> $ ./pre-inst-env guix system build system.scm

But I didn't find a way to make sudo and pre-inst-env work together.

I've tried things like that:
> $ sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure system.scm

And it reconfigured my system but I then have a broken guix
installation:
> $ guix shell -D guix
> ;;; Failed to autoload symlink-spec-option-parser in (guix scripts
> pack): ;;; Throw to key `record-abi-mismatch-error' with args
> `(abi-check "~a: record ABI mismatch; recompilation needed"
> (#<record-type <svn-reference>>) ())'.

What is the correct way (if any) to do something like that?

PS: There is also normally a way to recover from that since I was
    helped on IRC to recover and at some point it worked.
    So I'll try various things like 'rm -rf ~/.cache/guile/ccache/ &&
    guix pull' until I find how to recover.

Denis.